Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Missy's Place & Me

 














My Story

I never intended to be a “beauty therapist” I was a “flitter.”
Never staying in one place, state, country or in fact any job very long either. I got bored and restless so easily. I was perhaps either working behind a bar on Kings Road, Chelsea in London, busy owning a sandwich bar in Notting Hill Gate, perhaps asking people if they wanted a tea or coffee in a cafĂ© on the beach on KoTao island in Thailand, travelling as a cocktail waitress on a P&O cruise ship (ok maybe it was just for one cruise) or working as a PA, EA and many other A’s for many different companies and at places that I thought I would enjoy. See I definitely was a “flitter”

I actually wanted to study Natural Therapies but the Natural Beauty Therapy course at ACNT in Sydney offered everything I was interested in. (and in one year also) Bach Flowers, Aromatherapy, Reflexology, Remedial Massage, Nutrition, the list went on. The fact that I received a Diploma in Beauty Therapy didn’t matter to me at all because clearly I was never going to be a beauty therapist.
What I didn’t count on was the passion and the love I had for it.
I loved the chance to make someone feel so much better than when they came to you. To make something perfect like eyebrows, a pedicure or doing some reiki in a massage. I just loved that feeling of doing something well and people really appreciating it. (and let’s face it not such a good idea to be horrible to your beauty therapist! Bad bad idea)
See clients had to be nice…I had found it, my passion.
I have always loved people. Loved sharing. Finding out a story and sharing mine. To have a client come for a treatment and because of a conversation you have had, you both leave each other laughing or crying (sometimes both). You can’t buy that. It is rare. People have told me things in confidence that they haven’t told a soul and vice versa. I might write a book one day and call it “Tales from a dark room!”


I think that when you touch someone it is easy to open up to each other. Especially these days as everyone is so busy and we have lost connection with each other. We are so busy texting, emailing and hellooo bloging that part of me thinks we are reaching out to feel that connection to each other but in the wrong way because quite often that person is right next to you. In saying that I think the art of being an amazing therapist is to know when to talk and when not to!
I have had throughout my career the rare privilege of making a difference. For many years one on one as a therapist and on a bigger scale with the creation of Missy’s Place.  It has nothing to do with the perfect nail paint or leaving someones skin glowing with an amazing facial. (these things are always a given to me)  It is the stories, the caring, the exchange that fills me up. I love it, I love what I do and how I spend my day.





















Missy's Place Feel

My other passion (other than shopping) is interiors. I guess in a way for the same reason as I love beauty therapy. Creating something beautiful. I love making a space work that is not only practical and comfortable but makes you feel a certain way. Lifts you up and makes you feel that bit special just being there. I hope that is how people feel when they come to us at Missy’s.
My Beautiful Girls
If I am going to spend my time anywhere doing anything I want to be surrounded by people who not only do an amazing job but are the most kind, caring and fantastic people. People who share my same beliefs and values and love what they do.

I am not saying I have not made mistakes, I have. Starting any business is a certainly a journey and I definitely have had people who worked for me that have shocked the hell out of me. Life and people certainly don’t surprise me anymore. It is always a learning curve. Fortunately for me many of those mistakes have” left the building” so to speak and I am so truly fortunate that the girls I spend the day with now are amongst some of the people I care about most and have the highest regard for. Those are the ones that are at Missy’s right now. I have worked with therapists in spas all over Australia and the world and can honestly say I know no better than these girls.


So Missy’s Place is all of these things. I try my best, honestly I do. The girls try their best to make it not only a beautiful place to come but to give exceptional treatments.  I hope you like my blog and that you find it interesting, informative, heartwarming and most of all fun.
Missy x

No comments:

Post a Comment